RMGS is a growing, Veteran Owned business that recently won a large IDIQ type Department of State Contract in Africa.
Part Time position, working up to 25 days/month supporting the Office of the President (OOP)’s Chief of Staff and FGS key executives such as the President, Prime Minister and select minsters and other senior Somalia leaders on the National Security Commission
Location: based in Mogadishu and work in spaces provided by the FGS, but shall be expected to travel to Nairobi
Abbreviated Responsibilities and Duties
- Improving FGS understanding of national security strategy, as well as issues related to security structures, doctrine and operational plans.
- Ensuring the FGS leadership understands the cause of bottlenecks in the national security strategy process by providing briefings, reports, and in-person expert advice to OOP leadership, and recommending a mitigation strategies related to the ongoing operations conducted by AMISOM and the SNA.
- Ensuring the delivery of the strategy for disarmament, demobilization, and reintegration of armed groups (if appropriate) and pensioning of security forces personnel in Somalia by providing recommendations and expert advice to Somali personnel.
- Ensuring delivery of an FGS strategy for informal justice, and some noted aspects of the formal justice system through the provision of expert advice and recommendations to OOP personnel.
- Assisting the OOP to develop an effective security stabilization communications strategy, in coordination with the communications staff.
- maintain contact with key actors in the Somali Government’s national security establishment, including the Ministries of Defense and Interior; the Somali National Armed Forces (SNAF) and the Somali police forces.
- work coordinate objectives and processes among key stakeholders, including Somali regional leaders with AMISOM and the United Nations (UN) organizations, as desired by the Chief of Staff or President and as required.
- The Advisor shall advise the OOP on issues related integration of regional security forces into the national security structures of the FGS.
- The Advisor shall provide regular updates on key security and political events including reports mirroring the style and substance of State Department cable reporting.
- The contractor shall ensure that the civilian stabilization advisor is provided with dedicated personal security for his/her work in Mogadishu.
Qualifications and Skills
- Demonstrated prior professional experience in Somalia of at least five years.
- Demonstrated prior professional experience requiring the establishment of relationships across a wide spectrum of the Somali government, to include the Chief of Staff, Ministers of Defense, Interior, National Security and Justice, regional leadership, and civil society.
- Demonstrated prior professional experience working with AMISOM officials and International Community actors.
- Demonstrated prior professional experience in the field of conflict or transitional stabilization, with demonstrated prior professional experience in the security sector, including experience training/advising ministries and leadership.
- Demonstrated prior professional experience requiring excellent communications skills, both verbal and written including helping foreign governments with the creation of presentations, talking points.
- Master’s Degree in an associated area and/or Bachelor’s degree coupled with field experience of at least five years in Somalia.
- No physical limitations preventing travel throughout region and Somalia; willingness to travel/live in difficult environments.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.